Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Today, we celebrate Lisa Lobdell RN, a Veteran and Exceptional Nurse





"In December 1995, I graduated with a Bachelors of Science in Nursing from California State University Long Beach. About a year before graduation a recruiter visited our nursing program. After her visit I decided that I would join the military. I came home and called my friends and family.  What an adventure it would be!! I went to Nellis Air Force Base in Las Vegas to visit. I was taken to the Officers’ Club where I felt I was stepping into the filming of “Top Gun”. I did not need any further coaxing. I signed without reading all of the fine print."


"On April 6, 1996 off I went joyful that I would meet my own Tom Cruise. I spent three years on active duty and my rank prior to leaving the US Air Force was 1st Lieutenant, for which I feel honored, proud and grateful. The things that I loved about the military are the many close friendships, the leadership skills I developed and confidence gained in my nursing skills."


This is an excerpt from a chapter written by Lisa Lobdell in "The ExceptionalNurse: Tales from the trenches of truly resilient nurses working with disabilities". 

No comments:

Post a Comment