Tuesday, January 18, 2022

In remembrance of Carolyn Berry McKinzie, LPN, a truly exceptional nurse



Carolyn was one of the Exceptional Nurse pioneer supporters. An avid writer, she loved her patients, family and friends. She served as a mentor to countless nurses and nursing student amputees.

She wrote honestly in at times bone raw accounts of her amputation and the journey back to nursing practice and a full life. The following is one example of her work.

"In 2008, I took a job as a dialysis nurse at my local hospital.  I never thought I would get more out of that job than what I put in, but we have many amputee patients and I was able to bond with them in a very special way.  I don’t hesitate to share my story with them.  It’s important for them to see that life goes on despite misfortune.  I can’t work a 10 hour shift like everybody else does, but I can keep up with them while I am there.  I have become a certified amputee peer visitor and I speak to people about my journey whenever the opportunity arises.   I know that I am a much better nurse now than I ever was.  The most valuable lesson I have learned is that tough times don’t last, but tough people do" (McKinzie, 2014, p.161).

We lost a good one. Carolyn, listen up! Your work will continue! 

Rest in peace.

With love,

Donna


To contribute to the Carolyn Berry McKinzie Scholarship to be awarded to a nursing student with an amputation, click on this link: http://www.exceptionalnurse.com/makeadonation.php

Her obituary can be read at:

 https://www.centralmaine.com/2021/12/05/obituarycarolyn-m-berry-mckinzie/

Reference

McKinzie, C. (2014). Tough times don’t last, but tough people do: Nursing after a lower limb amputation (chapter 13). In D. Maheady, The Exceptional Nurse: Tales from the trenches of truly resilient nurses working with disabilities. CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform. 

                                                      Additional publications

UPS AND DOWNS ~ Carolyn McKinzie, LPN, RBKA (abledamputees.org)

https://exceptionalnurse.blogspot.com/2016/06/moving-forward-with-disability.html

Amputee Nurse Consultant/Carolyn McKinzie, LPN, RBKA

THE DATING GAME: She Said, He Said - Amplitude (livingwithamplitude.com)

1 comment:

  1. What an absolutely wonderful tribute to an amazing and inspiring nurse. Thanks for making us aware of our profession's loss.

    ReplyDelete