Sunday, February 5, 2023

"Gloves for Life" may help some nurses who use wheelchairs

 




Michael Franz from New Mobility posted a review of gloves made for wheelchair users by "Gloves for Life". The review included these comments:

"Debbie Riggsby, a C6-7 quad, and her husband, Zane, bought Gloves for Life from the original owner in 2013. They have dedicated the last decade to developing gloves that help quadriplegics and others with limited dexterity push better."

"I use power assist wheels and usually don’t wear gloves. Once I put the gloves on and started pushing, the difference was very noticeable. Pushing required much less effort, and even when I didn’t make good contact with the handrim, the wheel still propelled forward. Another benefit I noticed from wearing the gloves is that they helped when I had nerve pain in my hands. On bad pain days, I have more difficulty pushing, but the gloves seem to dampen the impact on my hands — and the pain." 

"On top of the pushing benefits, the gloves can be used as an adaptive cuff to hold items. For example, I put a fork through the thumb hole, similar to how one would use a universal cuff. It is not something I would do regularly, but if I forgot to bring my adaptive utensils with me, this would work in a pinch. I used the gloves to hold a pen, and while they won’t replace my adaptive writing splint, I can see the option coming in handy. The gloves also made it much easier to hold on to items like cups and to slide items across my desk. "

For more information, read the full article by Michael Franz and visit the Gloves for Life website.

Cheers!

Donna

https://newmobility.com/gloves-for-life-quad-friendly-gloves-shine/?mc_cid=f520220862&mc_eid=e249fd81b6

https://www.glovesforlife.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment