Sunday, February 18, 2024

Cystic Fibrosis shaped this nurse's career

Brogavantty Dunwoody, RN, BSN
Brogavantty wrote the following for the CF Community Blog."For the first few years, life as a nurse was good. I was always transparent about my chronic condition (although not when I was interviewing for jobs). I was determined to be punctual and reliable, so I planned doctor visits on days off or took paid leave. During those long, 12-hour nursing shifts, I had the opportunity to display a high level of compassion for my patients. Soon, I became a teacher for nursing students, and then for nurses new to the profession, and finally for those who were new to the organization but were seasoned nurses." "After eight years in the acute care (hospital) setting, I made a tough decision to leave bedside nursing on the recommendation of my CF doctor. I was heartbroken and a bit discouraged, thinking I would no longer be able to make an impression on the lives of my patients if I was not working in a hospital setting. However, I remembered that seed of determination that was planted inside me and has grown over the years. I leaned on my faith through this transition to a new type of nursing."






Read more at:

https://www.cff.org/community-posts/2022-05/how-having-cf-shaped-my-nursing-career 


Cheers!

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment