Sunday, September 29, 2024

Myasthenia Gravis didn't stop this determined nurse!


Stacy shared her journey in "MG Stories".

"Medical research has taught me that I’m both inquisitive and an advocate. I enjoy working with patients who feel like the medical system has historically been working against them. It’s my goal to help them understand that everyone is not out injure patients or make a name for themselves. The ultimate goal is to help make the world a better place than we found it. It’s okay to donate an organ or participate in a clinical trial. And without people being brave enough to try, there is truly no hope for helping others who seek help on their own journey down our path."

"Because I was never discouraged by my mom or told what I couldn’t do or be, it never occurred to me that I wouldn’t survive the first time the MG bell rang. I’ve learned to live my life in appreciation of those who helped me and those who did not survive. I do things that make me feel better – like exercising, staying hydrated, keeping my mind active, and protecting myself with masks and yearly vaccinations. I learned that nutrition matters, stopping the cycle of “Feeling tired --> drinking a soda/eating candy --> falling asleep --> feeling tired --> repeat.” I figured out which foods flare my myasthenia and what makes me feel better. I decided that I was important. I’ve lost a lot of weight and am no longer an insulin-dependent diabetic or requiring constant oxygen. It’s definitely taking me time to get used to the changes, but this is a good change." 

"I always say, “I don’t get frustrated – I get determined.” MG is sneaky and allows you fall into the trap of depression and hopelessness. Having a rare disease is not a ticket to wallow – it’s the opportunity to overcome. I was told I would never live a month, graduate high school, graduate college, walk without braces or use a wheelchair, drive a car, travel. I try to find a way around the limitations I know in order to live my best life. While there are some limitations MG and you don’t want to hurt yourself, YOU are your own best advocate and voice of how you feel." 

Read more about Stacy's journey at A Life with Myasthenia Gravis – A Nurse’s Perspective

Cheers!

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment