Saturday, October 29, 2016

Are you a nursing student with a learning disability? Sharing a “Learning Bio” with faculty may help!


STUDENT LEARNING BIO

Tino Plank, Pre-Nursing Student
Dear___________:

My name is Tino Plank, and I’m in the process of completing my nursing school pre-requisites. At the suggestion of my academic counselor, Bill Jones, I’ve put together this “learning bio” as a way to introduce myself, my scholastic goals, and my learning disabilities.

I already have a B.S. degree, which I completed in 1980. However, at that time, I struggled in many of my core science classes because I didn’t realize that I had learning disabilities that impacted my capacity to process the material I was studying. Specifically, I have auditory and visual processing deficits and dyslexia/ADD characteristics that slow down the way I integrate information.

I always wanted to continue my science education, but had been intimidated by the testing challenges from my undergraduate days. Fortunately, I’ve been through the learning skills assessment offered by Student Supportive Services, and with their guidance and support, we’ve worked out learning/testing accommodations that have improved my ability to learn and retain information.

I look forward to learning from you this semester and working with you to incorporate my accommodations into the classroom.

Sincerely,

Tino Plank

Read more about nursing school with a learning disability in chapter 5 “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough: Paths to Success for Nurses with Learning Disabilities” in The Exceptional Nurse: Tales from the trenches of truly resilient nurses working with disabilities.



2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the valuable post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Doreen for leaving a comment!

    How do you think the information could benefit you or others?

    ReplyDelete