Thursday, June 23, 2016

A message for nurses with disabilities: Put the glass down!


This story has been shared by many over the years. 
I thought it might be helpful for nurses and nursing students who are struggling with disability related issues.



A psychologist walked around a room while teaching Stress Management to an audience. 

As she raised a glass of water, everyone expected they’d be asked the “half empty or half full” question. Instead, with a smile on her face, she inquired: 


“How heavy is this glass of water?” 

Answers called out ranged from 8 oz. to 20 oz. 

The psychologist replied: “The absolute weight doesn’t matter. It depends on how long I hold it.

 If I hold it for a minute, it’s not a problem. If I hold it for an hour, I’ll have an ache in my arm. If I hold it for a day, my arm will feel numb and paralyzed. 

In each case, the weight of the glass doesn’t change, but the longer I hold it, the heavier it becomes.” 

She continued, “The stresses and worries in life are like that glass of water: Think about them for a while and nothing happens. 

Think about them a bit longer and they begin to hurt. And, if you think about them all day long – and in the days beyond – you will feel paralyzed – incapable of doing anything.” 

So, remember to put the glass down!!!!!

As always, I appreciate your thoughts,

Donna



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxjp-fkuc-U

http://goodmenproject.com/featured-content/much-glass-water-weigh-hint-think-kt/

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete