Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Let's help a cancer survivor/amputee become a nurse!


Let's help D'Andra become a nurse!
 
Today, I received this heartwarming email:
 
"I am a osteosarcoma bone cancer survivor and right hip disarticulate amputee. I was diagnosed at 13 years old and after a painful battle I lost my leg at 14 years old. My mother was told that I was not expected to survive this aggresive form of cancer. Happily, I'm ALIVE at 22 years old! Your website was suggested to me by NurseTogether.com. I love your advocacy for the disabled nursing community. I thank you for taking a minute to read my letter. I've wanted to be a nurse from the age of 14 years old and be able to give back to others in a way I felt could touch their lives when they needed the help most. It's undeniable, (other than our moms) nothing is better than an AWESOME nurse! Our doctors see us every now and then, but nurses are right there by your side 100% of the time. I wore my first prosthetic for only 3 months because it was more pain than I could've beared. But within those 3 months I used to help a family friend who was a nurse in the Administration Office of her hospital. I had my own scrubs and sethoscope, even a Critical Care Book I used to study. All this at 14 yrs old! However, because I had to stop wearing my leg I thought I was destined to walk on my crutches for the rest of my life. I'm really fast on my crutches, especially in a high heeled shoe! So I learned Spanish and now work as a Spanish Tutor and Interpreter. I love the kids I get to work with but my dream to be a nurse never died.
 
Early last year, I decided that there are goals I have and for these I'd need my leg. Gratefully, I recieved my new leg last October from a company in Orlando, Fl. Prosthetic and Orthotic Assocites. My new leg is beyond my dreams! I look so bionic and I love it! I had my first prosthetic covered and I chose not to cover this new one. I'm so much more content with it like that. After getting my new leg and finally walking without crutches or any assistance in it, I realized that 'I CAN DO IT! I CAN BE A NURSE!'."
 
 
Check me out walking for the first time in 7 years! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHUjavG6qTk
Here's a little interview I did: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY3ffBTc5Sk
Here's the link to my fundraiser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY3ffBTc5Sk
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Help-Cancer-Survivor-DAndra-Rolle-Become-A-Nurse/596586177139626

How can you help D'Andra? Please share your thoughts below.

No comments:

Post a Comment