Saturday, August 19, 2017

2017 Scholarships awarded to nursing students with disabilities



         Nursing students with a wide range of disabilities are increasing in number every year. Disabilities may include hearing loss, low vision, learning disabilities, limb differences, paralysis, mental illness, autism and chronic conditions such as multiple sclerosis, lupus and movement disorders.

Financing an education can be a challenge for some students with disabilities. In addition to routine expenses (tuition, room and board, books, uniforms, transportation), some students may need to purchase an amplified or electronic stethoscope, computer software programs, or audio books—as well as medications, hearing aids, therapies, prostheses, special equipment or custom alterations to uniforms and lab coats. Working a part-time job may not be possible.

Scholarships are available from ExceptionalNurse.com, a nonprofit resource network for nursing students and nurses with disabilities. The organization provides links to disability-related organizations, technology, equipment, financial aid, employment opportunities, mentors, blogs, continuing education, a speaker’s bureau, legal resources, social media groups, research and related articles.

The organization has been awarding scholarships to nursing students with disabilities since 2003. The awards are based on academic performance, letters of recommendation, financial need and an essay which answers the questions: “How do you plan to contribute to the nursing profession? How will your disability influence your practice as a nurse”? The awards this year were $500.00.

ExceptionalNurse.com is honored to announce the winners for 2017!!!
          
Allison Winchell  from Newton, Iowa will be attending the Newton Campus of Des Moines Area Community College in Iowa.

Allison wrote, "When I was in the hospital that long scary month I remember how amazing the nurses in that hospital were. Their eyes just glowed with kindness and the desire to be a blessing to people in need. I want to become that kind of nurse."

Jonathan Louwsma from Imlay City, MI will be attending Calvin College in Grand Rapids, MI.

Jonathan stated, "Sometimes I feel, my "disability" has given me my "ability" to focus on my strengths and to perfect these areas. I know that I can be a positive example and inspiration for my patients.."


Mikayla Magna from Hawthorne, New Jersey will be attending Ramapo College of New Jersey.

Mikayla wrote: "Learning different from everyone else always helps me keep a different outlook to all areas of life. I feel my journey will help me impact the life of my patients and will carry through in my care given to them."

Rachael Mahan from Roanoke, Texas will be attending Texas Woman's University.

Rachael shared, "Thanks to the obstacles and disabilities that I have overcome in my short life, I have the drive necessary to do the best for my patients and their families."

Jamie Anderson from Cliffside Park, New Jersey is attending Ramapo College  of Nursing in New Jersey. 

Jamie stated,  "I would like to become an APN specializing in emergent care and trauma. I would like to join Doctors without Borders or the Peace Corps and help those in real need!"

Congratulations and best wishes to all!!!

The ExceptionalNurse.com scholarship awards are funded through donations, grants and proceeds from book sales of “The Exceptional Nurse: Tales from the trenches of truly resilient nurses working with disabilities”, “Leave No Nurse Behind: Nurses working with disabilities” and “Nursing students with disabilities change the course”. To make a donation, please visit http://www.exceptionalnurse.com/makeadonation.php

The scholarship application can be downloaded at http://www.exceptionalnurse.com/pdf/exnurse-scholarship08.pdf


Appreciate your support!

Donna






No comments:

Post a Comment