Wednesday, March 13, 2024

Diane Grasso, Certified Nurse Practitioner with vision loss


 "At the age of four, I was hit in the left eye with a stick and from that day on I grew up with vision in one eye. I have never let my visual limitations dictate what I can do.

I was diagnosed with glaucoma in my right eye 15 years ago. I was so overwhelmed. I was determined it would not get my vision. I did everything the eye doctors told me to, but the eye drops were not enough. At one follow up appointment I was told I had retinal hemorrhaging. That was a devastating blow. I have had multiple surgeries attempting to lower the pressure and slow the progress of the disease, but the glaucoma continued to slowly take my vision. I always followed the treatment plan of the doctors, but the disease just would not relent. By 2021 I was told I should not drive. That was a depressing day for me. I tried to be positive, but I was getting more and more depressed. The eye doctor gave me a referral to a therapist for short term therapy which was very helpful.  

I am a nurse practitioner and because of my limited vision, I could not continue seeing my patients. My employer has been exceptionally accommodating and I moved into a triage nurse position. The office manager has always made it possible to get any of the adaptive equipment I need to continue working.

I have been a nurse for over 30 years. Caring for others has been my life. My new position is good for me, but I want to get back to taking care of patients. I just could not sit idlily by and let my vision change take my career away from me. I decided I needed to go back to school. I want to continue providing care to others."

Read more about Diane Grasso at:

Vocational Rehabilitation Consumer Spotlight: Diane Grasso, Certified Nurse Practitioner | Mass.gov

Cheers!

Donna

1 comment:

  1. I agree, Cheers to Diane! I've been a burse for 30 years+ & with several disabilities for 27 if those years. NVGlaucona has now also become part of my medical hx since 2020, with increasing loss of vision in one eye. Of course, like Diane my working career & pursuit for my NP has been severely halted. Let's stay determined in our endeavors, supporting each other as we can! Cheers to our mentor
    the phenomenal Dr. Maheady as well!

    ReplyDelete