Saturday, September 14, 2024

Army veteran, Reggie Santiago, receives Daisy Award for being extraordinary nursing student

 

ECU News Services reported this story about Reggie Santiago.

"His second four-year enlistment ended with pride, but the transition back to civilian life wasn’t easy. Over the course of the next two years he held 11 jobs, including sales positions which he says he did well at, but life was starting to get the upper hand.

“I got into a major depression. My mom passed away and things weren’t going right. I wasn’t happy with my career, and it took my girlfriend at the time to kick me out. She said, ‘Look, you need to get your life together,’ Santiago remembered.

A chance meeting with a former Army friend got him back on track — a job training Special Operations medics awaited if he completed paramedic training, which instilled in Santiago the confidence to trust his academic abilities while relying on his military medical training.

“I was able to get into the vocational rehab program through the VA, which is how I wound up getting into nursing. I got my ADN through a paramedic to RN bridge course,” Santiago said.

And who doesn’t love a happy ending?"

Read more at:

https://news.ecu.edu/2024/05/15/army-veteran-honored-as-extraordinary-nursing-student/

Cheers!

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment