
Nursing students with a wide range of disabilities are increasing in number every year. Disabilities may include hearing loss, low vision, learning disabilities, limb differences, paralysis, mental illness, autism and chronic conditions such as multiple sclerosis, lupus, autoimmune disease and movement disorders.
Financing an education can be a challenge for some students with disabilities. In addition to routine expenses (tuition, room and board, books, uniforms, transportation), some students may need to purchase an amplified or electronic stethoscope, computer software programs, or audio books—as well as medications, hearing aids, therapies, prostheses, special equipment or custom alterations to uniforms and lab coats. Working a part-time job may not be possible.
ExceptionalNurse.com is a nonprofit resource network for nursing students and nurses with disabilities. The organization has been awarding scholarships to nursing students with disabilities since 2003. The awards are based on academic performance, letters of recommendation, financial need and an essay which answers the questions: “How do you plan to contribute to the nursing profession? How will your disability influence your practice as a nurse”? The award this year was $500.00.
ExceptionalNurse.com is honored to announce the winner for 2026!!!
Congratulations Hallie Beach!!!
Hallie wrote: "I plan to contribute to the nursing profession by using the latest research to guide and
reform patient care and the nursing profession. One way I might do this is by advocating for fair
wages and safe patient-to-nurse ratios at hospitals. I also plan to achieve a rheumatology nursing
certification, which will allow me to be a better pediatric rheumatology nurse practitioner (NP).
In addition to this certification, focusing my PHD dissertation on juvenile autoimmune disorders,
I will raise my level of care as an NP and participate in and lead research to find a cure for
autoimmune disorders. On top of this research, I have the option to teach nursing students and
mentor future nurses and nurse practitioners who may go onto furter advance the field of
medicine and nursing. I am especially excited to have the opportunity to teach and support
nursing students who also have disabilities, furthering diversity and support for the disabled in
nursing.
My disability has added to my empathy for patients and has given me a special insight
and understanding of those who also have disabilities and chronic illnesses. I understand what
it’s like to be a patient and live with the struggles of having a disability. Having a disability as a
future nurse has also fostered resilience and an appreciation for my health, something I may be
able to help patients do. Although my disability has altered my goals and future, I refuse to let it
take away my dreams, and I want to do the same for patients and other nurses with disabilities".
Hallie will be attending the BSN program at the University of Arizona.
The ExceptionalNurse.com scholarship awards are funded through donations, grants and proceeds from book sales of “The Exceptional Nurse: Tales from the trenches of truly resilient nurses working with disabilities”, “Leave No Nurse Behind: Nurses working with disabilities”, “Nursing students with disabilities change the course” and "I am a nurse: Color me Exceptional!".
To make a donation please visit:
No comments:
Post a Comment