Monday, August 26, 2024

Congratulations to the Exceptional Nurse 2024 Scholarship winners!

 


Nursing students with a wide range of disabilities are being admitted to nursing programs. Disabilities may include hearing loss, low vision, learning disabilities, limb differences, paralysis, mental illness, autism, short stature, chronic illnesses and conditions such as multiple sclerosis, lupus and movement disorders.

Financing an education can be a challenge for some students with disabilities. In addition to routine expenses (tuition, room and board, books, uniforms, transportation), students may need to purchase an amplified or electronic stethoscope, computer software programs, or audio books—as well as medications, hearing aids, therapies, prostheses, special equipment or custom alterations to uniforms and lab coats. Working a part-time job may not be possible.

Scholarships are available from ExceptionalNurse.com, a nonprofit organization for nursing students and nurses with disabilities. The organization provides links to disability-related organizations, technology, equipment, financial aid, employment opportunities, mentors, blogs, continuing education, speakers, legal resources, social media groups, research and related publications.

 The organization has been awarding scholarships to nursing students with disabilities since 2003. The awards are based on academic performance, letters of recommendation, financial need and an essay which answers the questions: “How do you plan to contribute to the nursing profession? How will your disability influence your practice as a nurse”? Due to support from donations and book sales, we were able to award two scholarships.

This year, funds were limited so competition was stiff. ExceptionalNurse.com is honored to announce the winners for 2024!!!

Henry Gathje will be attending Saint Mary's University nursing program in Winona, Minnesota. Henry stated, "I genuinely want to be a blessing for other people and nursing is the perfect profession to do so on a daily basis".

Kaitlyn Davidson is attending the University of South Carolina's nursing program. She wrote, "...  now it is my time to give back to society, now it is my time to motivate those in the worst moments of ther lives, and now it is my time to bolster the health of our nation."

Kennedy Corbell will be attending the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor in Belton, Texas. She stated, "I believe my experiences have made me more caring for others and I will enjoy being an excellent nurse."

Paige Rudzinski is attending the University of Cincinnati's nursing program. Paige wrote, "..I have learned how everyone is different while needing healthcare..this will influence my practice as a nurse because I will need to adapt to patients' needs and what they are capable of."

Best wishes to all.

Cheers!

Donna

1 comment:

  1. I deeply appreciated the scholarship I was given. It provided much needed inspiration during the grind that is nursing school, and I pushed myself to prove that I deserved it.

    ReplyDelete